Hong Kong – 60 Second Interview
I met Marcelo in the press box while we waited for the arrival of the Pope. As I interviewed him, there were some surprises!!! Paula
- What’s your name? Marcelo Neira
- How old are you? 40 years old
- Where are you from? Chile
- Who have you come with to WYD? With Vicaria de la Esperanza (a group from the archdiocese of Santiago)
- What is your native language? Spanish
- Have you been to a WYD before? Yes, to Manila in 95′. I read the psalm 15 to JP2 ( wow!) when there was still an international forum where 2 young people representing each country went to greet the Pope. In this occasion I had the opportunity to talk to JP2.
-What did you tell him? I said to JP2: ‘do you know? I am happy to be with you’ and after this do you know what JP2 did? He embraced me and said: I am happy to be with you too (wow!). 2 months later I received 4 photos from the mass. 2 photos were me reading at mass and 2 photos were of me talking to JP2. They were send from Rome directly to my home. (incredible!)
- How involved are you in your church? I have been active in the church since 87′ I was 16 years old back then. Now I do formation and accompaniment to young people with my wife.
- Why have you come to WYD? Well partly work, as I am covering the event. I am in charge of media and communications for the Chilean delegation and in a personal level I would like to do as much as I can so young people can meet Jesus.
- What are you searching for? Peace and reconfirm my faith. I love the WYD motto.
- What single value that the church promotes do you like the most? Mercy and Forgiveness
- What do you think of Madrid so far? Very welcoming city.